- Dramatic weight loss
- Dresses in layers to hide weight loss or stay warm.
- Preoccupation with weight, food, calories, fat grams, and dieting. Makes frequent comments about feeling “fat.’
- Resists or is unable to maintain a body weight appropriate for their age, height, and build.
- Maintains an excessive, rigid exercise regime – despite weather, fatigue, illness, or injury.
- Evidence of binge eating, including disappearance of large amounts of food in short periods of time or lots of empty wrappers and containers indicating consumption of large amounts of food.
Evidence of purging behaviors, including frequent trips to the bathroom after meals, signs and/or smells of vomiting, presence of wrappers or packages of laxatives or diuretics.
- From NEDA Feeding Hope Website
Other Signs of Anorexia
- Drinks excessive amounts of water or non-caloric beverages, and/or uses excessive amounts of mouthwash, mints, and gum.
- Has calluses on the back of the hands and knuckles from self- induced vomiting.
- Dental problems, such as enamel erosion, cavities, discoloration of teeth from vomiting, and tooth sensitivity.
© Copyright – Hector Sectzer